Thursday 11 October 2007

Its good to talk

Today I wanted to phone my grandad.

There was no reason for wanting to call him, other than i wanted a random chat, the type of chat which only he could give me.

Id ring him when I felt lonely or down but didnt want to discuss the reasons, he would just make me forget everything and would make me smile, just by chatting about the life the universe and everything.

For those who dont know (and you should know if you read my blog regulary) Grandad died in August and this is the first time Ive really missed him since the funeral.

I then picked up my mobile and flicked through my numbers and discovered I hadnt deleted his number, so there I was sat staring at my grandads phone number on my mobile half wanting to ring it, even tho i knew he wouldnt answer it.

This got me thinking about the way people communicate now adays.

I always argue that nowadays people communicate more than ever before but in different ways. This is all well and good, however, it means people dont talk to each other any more.

people can and do go a whole day without hearing a persons voice once, and yet could still have "spoken" to lots of people. Chat rooms, MSN, Texts, emails, facebook, blogs etc help to build relationships amongst strangers but is this healthy?

when I was going through my mobile I realised that out of all the numbers I had texted most of them a few times in the past month but had only spoken to about 2 of them.

Theres people I dont hear from in a while so I text them and say hi how you doing etc, but dont ring them.

Theres a question to ask so I text it coz its quicker

the opportunities just to speak to someone are there but for ease we do something quicker.

When was the last time you had a phone conversation about nothing for the sake of having a chat?

who do you ring when you just want a chat about nothing?

we live in a world of communication and yet weve stopped talking to each other. so heres a challenge to you all.

next time you think about sending a text to someone ring them instead.

next time you have some time dont come online ring someone who aint spoken to for a while and catch up with them

and finally remember the bt slogan "its good to talk" and make it a motto to live by.

leave a comment, oh and if you want a chat, give me a call!

7 comments:

Her said...

Texting is cheaper though, morety.


:P

Rachel said...

I never phone people. I hate doing it; it makes me nervous, and I dial the number very slowly. However, normally when I start talking to people I'm fine.

I also don't talk very much to people, believing them to be happy talking among themselves; and if they're happy, why should I disturb them?

I really do prefer writing things, whether emails, letters, blogs, other stuff...it relaxes me; talking can make me quite tense. I can only really talk properly to people I know very well. I chatter at home, and stay silent and listen when I'm out. I have surprised people in the past by asking them questions, as they're used to me telling them that I'm well, saying hello, but nothing else.

Yes, I should talk to people. But...

Ann Marie said...

I would call you but I don't have your number.....but i do know you will read this comment lol

Anonymous said...

I'll call collect morety

Ant said...

Texting is the way forward.

But don't phone Nat, cos all she does is heavy breath down the phone...

Her said...

I thought you liked my darth vadar impression, Ant!

Anonymous said...

hehe bob hoskins, its like that song ..........I just called..to say...........i love you!......which my cousin sang to her own phone when out one night hehe, like you i have lost alot of ppl in the past few yrs, my grandad, my good friends irene and baz (who was only 28), my great aunt and my aunt , with my great aunt i called her and wrote to her regularly as we were close, and does make you think alot , sometimes i dont call my relatives for time!!!, and makes you realise that if they or you where not here tomorrow, have you called them to let them know you love them ??? gbu hun xx