Wednesday 1 August 2007

Grandad drums


Today I got a phone call from my dad which has left me feeling weird.

My dad had visited my granddad today and he is not at all well, and the jist of the phone call was warning me to expect a phone call in the next few days informing me that my grandad had died.

Over the last few years I havent seen him as much as I would have liked but He is a man I respect so much and when I have seen him and spoken to him he has always given me wise words on every area of life from spiritual stuff to how important a good women is lol.

All his grandchildren call him Grandad Drums because he always had a drum kit upstairs in his house and he would teach us how to play them by putting on his records and sitting us down getting us to play along to them - every time we viosited.

I once went to a radio one road show and said hello to grandad drums, only afterwards being asked by my dad - "do you really think your grandad listens to radio 1?"

The last time I saw him he looked awful and we have known for a whiloe that we wont see much more of him, but now I know it almost certain I wont see him again.

My dads said not to visit as hes so ill that he wont know etc. Now I just dont know how I feel. He's alive still so i cant mourn him, but we are just waiting - which means he may as well be dead. Does that mean ive given up on him? the last time I saw him he said to me "I believe in mioracles and i have so many people praying for me that a miricle can and will happen!" So i shouldnt be counting the days I should be praying like he wanted.

He is a great man, one of my cousins wrote a book which was a top seller and most of it was about my grandads life. It wasnt an easy one but through it all he truely turned into a man who i respect and love and whilst I dont feel I have a right to be upset as I havent seen that much of him, I know I will be devistated when the phone call comes. Ive even not answered the phone twice today just in case.

anyways yeah please pray for whole family, but most of all pray for a miricle!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

morety i am praying for you and your family. i do believe in miracles, although it may be kinda to let him know you are happy for him to go and be with our lord. where he will be free and at peace. x

Anonymous said...

Kinda was the same for me one not 1 but 2 of my relatives passed within 4mths this , my great aunt who i was very close to and wrote and called her , and my aunt (dads sis) who like you i never seen very much , i think you would be glad you never saw him mo, as would not have been nice to see him like that , its awful waiting for that call, but really hun i think you would be alot better remembering him at his best and glowing with happiness, the days before i was praying for them to be ok, but realised thats not what god had planned and the days i was waiting for the call, i prayed for them to be taken from their suffering and pain , will pray for your family in this time x

Rachel said...

Listen. If you want to go and visit him, and you have the means and time to visit him, ignore your father. Go and see him. I cannot stress how important this is. If you visit him, you will not regret it, even if he doesn't know you visited. Yes, it may be an eye opener and sad to see, but if you want to go, you should go. Just because he is very ill, doesn't mean he will die anytime soon.

If, however, you don't go and see him, do not feel guilty about it. I can't stress this enough, either: your words "he is a great man" show that he must be very special to you. I know your Grandad hasn't died yet, but when he does, the greatest thing you can do is fondly remember him.

I'm not sure if you understand me, and I'm not sure if I've made things worse. It is awful when a family member is terminally ill, and appears to be dying. Anyway, I will pray for you and your family at this time.

Ann Marie said...

Morety I will be praying for a miracle and I will be praying for all your family.

Rev xx