Sunday 5 August 2007

Grandad - play the drums for me

Grandad and some of his children, his grandchildren and his great grand children (and this isnt all of them either - he was a busy man lol)


At 9:45am this morning Bert Moreton aka Grandad drums was promoted to glory.

He was an entertainer, an inspirer, a Godly man, he was everything you would want from a granddad.

Music and God were so important to him. His neighbours must of hated it, downstairs he had a record player and an electric piano, up stairs he had a cornet, a drum kit, anouther record player, and various other musical instruments.

I remember sitting at the drums with one of his military records playing very loudly and me drumming along in the way he had taught me, in walks grandad and he starts marching around the room, conducting me and the record and making noises as if he was drumming with his mouth.

No matter how badly the drumming was, how much of a noise it was, he would always say how much rythm it contained and how good I was. The same goes for no matter what of his many musical instruments he was attempting to teach me to play, I wont even mention his bugal horn.

Music is definitly in the blood in the moreton family, and im convinced it was grandad drums that put it there!

Then theres God. Grandad could turn a discussion about Benny Hills amazing comedy (which both me and him loved) into a discussion about Gods love for us. And no matter what job you were doing it was a God given job. the times I rang him up and he asked what I was up to and he would always say "thats such an important job, Gods really using you" etc etc. I sometimes wonder what he would have said if I had rang him when I was working at the chicken factory.

His house was full of books by Billy Graham and although i dont remember the content of the chats I do remember many times talking about the era of Billy Graham crusades and revivals etc. if I could have just an ounce of the passion for God that Grandad had then id be a better man.

But his passion for God didnt make him super spiritual, I remember goiong to Mcdonalds with him only to see a very attractive lady and for grandad to point her out and nudge me and tell me in great detail how attractive she was. he never came across as pervy tho, he was a real charmer, and Im sure he stole womans hearts whenever he spoke to them.

His other passion was keeping fit, and he put me to shame many times, even in his old age. He would walk a few miles from his house to the local swimming pool swim laps for a long time and then walk home again, i remember visiting once and almost begging him to catch a bus coz there was no way I could walk as far or as fast as him.

I will always remember Grandad as a passionate Godly man who was approachable and down to earth offering advise when and where it was needed, with an open door policy to guests, no matter who they were.

At 10am today i got the phone call telling me 15minutes earlier he had died. at 10:45am I was leading a service at my church on love and faith and a few times I was sure he was sat at the front of the church smiling.

In the sermon i quoted one of the last things he said to me "I believe in miracles and have so many people praying for me that I know a miracle will happen!" and I wish I had said to him he is the miracle, i hope he knew how special he was to all his family (and its a very big family), and whilst im sad to lose him Im sure that Gods smiling even more now and that everyone in heaven is having a great, very load party because it will never be quiet with him around.

The thing we were all praying for, the miracle Grandad wanted, has happened. He is now healed, yes I will miss him, yes I selfishly wish he was still here, but, well Im sure hes having fun.

Grandad drums thanks for the music, thanks for the advice, thanks for everything.

Have fun (rest in peace doesnt really fit for you does it?)

Matt (Christophers middle child - coz theres so many of us grandchildren that you never could remember the names!)




Kevin (Cousin) and Grandad at a wedding

Dad, Liz and Grandad at party 2006


Grandad and his children (2006)


Grandad the way I like to remember him - tanned and enjoying the sun

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my prayers are with you and your family morety, and always a friend if you wanna talk, and u right , the miricle man is not sufferin anymore hun xx

Her said...

He sounds amazing. How happy he must be now, matt! Just imagine the sheer joy he must be in now!! woooo! I'm always here for you! xx

Anonymous said...

Thoughts are with you. I remember loosing my Grandad.

From what Cashy and Fruity tell me you walk about the place loads too.

Rachel said...

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that your Grandad's died.

Ann Marie said...

Morety still praying for you all Rev xx