Tuesday 11 December 2007

Why church should be like a party....

In Nossies blog I discovered that my view of church should be like a party which i expressed in my last blog is one which some disagree with and so I am posting the comment I made in her blog here to explain my views and gather yours.

The reason I believe church should be like a party is that the majority of church goers (in theory but sadly maybe not in practice) are those who know the good news that Jesus brought us and many have responded to that good news!

the Biblical church was and is a gathering of christ followers. It involves worship, teachings, encouragement and more.

SURELY A GATHERING OF PEOPLE WHOM HAVE HEARD AND RESPONDED TO THE GOOD NEWS WOULD WANT TO BE CELEBRATING AND SO CHURCH SHOULD BE A PARTY (i didnt mean to shout there but my comp stuck on caps and when i re-read what I wrote I decided to keep it in capitals)

does this infer or make people believe life will be easy? not in my view! infact I believe a joyful, celebrating church says - life may not go according to my plan but im celebrating that I know there is more to life than this etc etc.

it really depends how you define party does it not? a wake after someone dies is a party, a bday party is a party, a farewell do is a party. Partys come in many sizes and with many styles and so should church. My point is church should be something attractive to people because it is Gods church and God is something people should want in their lives!

does this mean we are not called to be different? no - but thats sort of the point too isnt it? society is full of depression, sadness and lack of love or joy - so if the church is truely called to be different then it should be full of happiness, excitement, love and joy - which in my book makes a pretty good party!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Okay, okay. Maybe the problem's with me and the mental image that I get from the word party!

I completely agree with your third paragraph, and I'm not sure what to say about the rest. Therefore, I won't say anything. :-)

Anonymous said...

yo mo!!!!!, You know Gods church does not have to be bricks and mortar ??, and i have blogged now haha xxxxx gbu hun

Anonymous said...

yes yes yes we should be able to leave our troubles at the door and just party together! thats very much how i see church, the best plce to party!!! of course i'm not saying we have to be happy all the time, but should be unashamed of looking at life circs with faith, and unapolegetically joyful, in conversation, if that is how we feel!